Monday, April 12, 2010

Cedric Jenkins Commits to Southern Miss

Yesterday we were the first to announce that one of the state's top shooting guards and most successful player to have ever played for Coach Timmy Byrd at Reserve Christian and now Riverside Academy, Cedric Jenkins has officially verbally committed to Southern Miss coach Larry Eustachy.  He is a 6'2" Shooter that can run a team as a point guard and is similar to Memphis guard Roburt Sallie but with a more consistent shot and better feel for the game. That is a big time comparison for the guard from Reserve, LA. If you remember, Sallie is the Memphis guard that scored 31 points in their 1st round NCAA tournament game in 2009 and had 8 3's in that game. Southern Miss is absolutely getting a steal that will be one of the top guards in the C-USA for the next 4 years. After having time to adjust to college ball, Jenkins will be a all-conference player when it is all said and done. Jenkins now joins a class that includes Mississippi Mr. Basketball Rashad Perkins of Starkville HS and Mississippi Mr. Basketball Runner-Up Trency Jackson of Wingfield HS. 


"I am very excited to attend Southern Miss" an excited Jenkins told us. "I am glad I found a place that fits my personality. Southern Miss reminds of myself. Very laid back, straight forward, good enivornment and I love the town of Hattiesburg,MS and its people."

Question and Answer Session with Cedric Jenkins
1. How excited are you on signing with Southern Miss? I'm very excited, I'm glad I found a place that fits my personality.

2. In your opinion, what makes Southern Miss the right place for you? Southern Miss reminds of myself... Very laid back, straight forward, good enivornment and I love the town of Hattiesburg,MS and it's people.

3. What set Southern Miss apart from the rest of the school's recruiting you? They were very honest and straight forward.

4. What school's recruited you and did you have offers from? UNO,TULANE,BAYLOR,UTEP,LA TECH, VA TECH,

5. What do you think of Coach Eustachy, Coach Heiar(G.H.) and the Southern Miss family? Coach Eustachy has the same qualities as coach Timmy, G.H. was really nice and I appreciated him showing us around campus. And the guys were very cool and I enjoyed being around them and like always I will continue to work hard.

6. What has being at a programs like Reserve and Riverside done for you and your recruiting if anything? If it wasnt for me attending those programs, who knows where I would be, I'm very thankful for the opportunities that I've been given.

7. What has it been like playing for a great coach in Timmy Byrd?Coach Timmy is responsible for transforming me into an all- around player, leader and not just a three-point shooter.

8. Who do you want to thank for supporting you through your career at Reserve and Riverside? God first, My mom, Coach Timmy, Coach Ronnie Byrd, My friends and family.. St John and St Charles recreation, Louisiana Select, Lake Ponchatrain Elementary and the Students, teammates and parents of both Riverside and Reserve Christian.

9. What are your expectations for your career at Southern Miss and how do you plan on helping them win? Also, how do you see yourself contributing as a freshman? My expectations are to continue my career of winning and touching every person I meet in some kind of way... I see my self contributing as a freshman by accepting my role and giving 110% by working hard towards my degree and by being a positive teammate and USM student on and off campus

10. What will you miss most about being in HS and the recruiting scene?  I will miss all the fans and parents that I have come in contact with in the last four years and also my teammates.

11. What has it meant to you being around a couple of great guards that played RCS in Tweety Carter(Baylor) and Ed McCain(Bradley)? I looked up to those guys, they were a big part in helping me develop my leadership skills.

12. What do you want the S. Miss fans to know about Cedric Jenkins, the player and the person? Honest, hardworking, positive, dedicated, with outgoing personality, with a winning attitude, and with God I know that all things are possible!

13. What family members or coaches or other people have really influenced you and helped you throughout your 4 years of HS?There's a million answers to this question, and I dont wanna leave anyone out but a few names are: My Mom Crystal Jenkins, My AAU coach Mike Theus, Coach Timmy Byrd and Ronnie Byrd

14. What do you want to tell your teammates who you have played with over the last 4 years? I want them to know I love them and they can ask me for anything they need or call me anytime and I will never forget them.


15. What is your expected major at USM? Im still undecided.

16. Give me all your accolades while in High School: 1st All-State 4 times, 4 time all-district, 2008 Mvp of state title game, 4 time top 28 all state, 4 Time State Champ

17. What schools did you visit? Tulane, Southern Miss

18. Favorite food: Gumbo
      NBA player/College player: Joe Johnson and Tweety Carter
      pre-game ritual: Focus, Clown and pray with my teammates
      favorite rapper/singer: Young Jeezy
      favorite TV Show: anything on ESPN
      favorite thing to do in your free time: Chill and Relax


Thank you for your time Cedric and good luck in your future at Southern Miss. God Bless and Stay Humble!! -Louisiana Basketball Report

No comments: