Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Northwestern State University add Two
Coach Mike McConathy and Northwestern State have collected two signatures this morning as Christian Life Academy senior Patrick Robinson Jr. and Panola College sophomore and former Southwood High player Louis Ellis both signed their National Letters of Intent to play for the Demons.
With Patrick Robinson on board at Northwestern St., the Demons are getting a kid that is very active, a high energy player and kid that is coming from a winning program. In Robinson's first three seasons at CLA he has been to 3 TOP 28 appearances and has won 2 state titles in 2007 and 2008. Robinson is a kid that has faced adversity last year with off the court medical issues involving his kidneys and played all last season with kidney stones. Northwestern is getting a great talent that will be a very nice contributor to the program for the next 4 years.
Here is what Head Coach Mike McConathy had to say about the signing of Robinson:
“We are so excited about Patrick becoming a part of our basketball family. We have really enjoyed the opportunity to develop a relationship with him and his family. He is a first class young man that will be a great player for the Demons.”
“We know what kind of coaching Patrick has received at Christian Life Academy from both Coach Carlo Maggio and his former head coach Todd Foster. They have and will do everything they can to prepare him to succeed at the college level.”
“Obviously having another great Louisiana product is always one of our goals in recruiting. We feel like we were able to get a tremendous sleeper in the state. Patrick’s best basketball is ahead of him. He continues to make such huge strides in his game each time we see him through his work ethic and desire to improve. He will be able to play multiple positions in our system and will be a especially great in our full court press.”
“We have watched him develop over the past 3 years we have seen that he is a great teammate who has put the team above himself which is the basis of our success. He has experienced a lot of great basketball at Christian Life, as well as, in the summer with Louisiana Select. The tradition of winning with both Christian Life and Louisiana Select have helped develop a great winning attitude within him.”
Christian Life Academy
Coach: Carlo Maggio
Height: 6-6 Weight: 195
- First team All-District last season for Christian Life Academy
- All-State performer as a junior
- Averaged 17pts. and 10 rebounds as a junior
- Helped lead Christian Life to state championships in 2007 and 2008 and semi-finals in 2009
- Rated one of the top 5 senior prospects in Baton Rouge
- District Champions as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior
The second signee for the Demons was Louis Ellis. Ellis is a 6'2" guard from Shreveport that played his High school ball for Norm Picou at Southwood High before signing with Panola College in 2008. Ellis finished up his career at Southwood with over 1,200 points while garnering 1st team all city and all district his senior season. Ellis was also team captain for three seasons under Picou.
Here is what Head Coach Mike McConathy had to say on Louis Ellis becoming a NSU Demon:
“We are very excited about Louis becoming a part of our basketball family. We have been following Louis since his days at Southwood High School and to see all of these years of work come to fruition is a great thing. Louis has been blessed to have tremendous high school and Junior College coaching and will come to us with a great basketball base in place. He has the unique ability to score the ball in so many different ways. Louis has been a priority for us to sign since high school.”
“Louis is a great young man with a great family and support system.”
“Louis will be a great piece to hopefully many more successful teams here at NSU. We are so excited to have him because of the bond he already has with our team. He will fit in immediately and make contribution from day one. It will be really a special opportunity for him to play with Will Mosley, James Hulbin, and Shamir Davis who he played AAU basketball with for years with in Shreveport for the Louisiana Roundballers.”
Panola College (Carthage, TX)
Panola Coach: Jake Wonders
Southwood High School (Shreveport, LA)
Southwood Coach: Norman Picou
Height: 6-2 Weight: 185
- Avg. 8.5 pts. per game at Panola College as a freshman
- Shot 43% (80-185) from the field, 35.7% (20-56) from 3, and 71% (31-44) from the FT line
- He also averaged 4.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 3.6 steals per game
- His 3.6 steals per game ranked 3rd Nationally in the NJCAA in 2008-09
- Was an Honorable Mention All-Conference selection as a freshman at Panola
- Prepped for Head Coach Norman Picou at Southwood High School in Shreveport, LA
- Was 1st team all city and district his senior season at Southwood High School
- Finished career with over 1,200 points scored
- Team MVP and Captain sophomore, junior, and senior seasons at Southwood High School
NSU Demons under McConathy:
- The Demons have won five championships in Coach Mike’s ten seasons: Southland Conference regular-season titles in 2005, 2006; the SLC East Division championship last season; and SLC Tournament crowns and NCAA tournament births in 2001 and 2006, going 1-1 in each trip to March Madness.
- The Demons have made six Southland Conference Tournament Championship game appearances including a streak of 4.
- 41 of 49 seniors have earned their degrees during Coach Mike’s tenure.
- In the latest NCAA Academic Progress Rates report the 2006 Demons ranked in the nation’s top 10 percent with a score of 981.